Thursday, January 13, 2011

A year ago, the world changed

A year ago I got a phone call that changed the direction of my entire year. Now a year has passed and somehow I managed to accept I lost my closest friend, something I won’t find again; this is what I miss most over everything we shared during the forty-two years we were friends, lovers and soul mates. Not having him here has been difficult, even though we were having troubling times a year ago, I still miss what most people miss, which is to know someone that well who knows you equally as well.

Ironically knowledge of Mark’s passing is still being communicated and still reaching the people I didn’t reach a year ago or knew how to reach; I received an e-mail from Laura Voland, his cousin just last week. She wrote a very personal piece and her post follows this remembrance of mine. As I have said before, Mark would have found all of this funny because of its modern aspects; modernism was something he rebelled against, never fully embracing these tools of technology.

So as the anniversary of Mark’s passing has now arrived, I hope some of you are reflecting on your personal memories of Mark, remembering him for the gifts he has left with all of us, which are our own private memories of better times.

Truly, Madly, Deeply, I will always love you Mark. -- Jenny

1 comment:

  1. How crestfallen I am to have discovered this blog. John was my best friend in high school and it was a terrible shock to lose him so young. I tracked Mark down for a while and got some of the story (he was in Oxnard then), but after one letter, that was all. I wondered, too, about Jean -- it seems surreal that all four of them have departed. Mark was fiercely intelligent -- I was intimidated by him, and respected his skill, education, wit... I'm sad that he's passed. To his friends and family -- G-d bless. Thank you for creating this tribute.
    Sean Williams
    Grant High '76

    ReplyDelete